If you ever wanted to just try out Linux on your MiniX NEO X7 and didn’t want to flash it, just follow this tutorial.
As I described in my Blogpost Install Debian on MiniX NEO X7 it is quite a long process to get Debian running on your MiniX. Although it runs very stable, I had it running 24/7 over a few months with no problems or downtimes.
Nevertheless, if you just want to try out Ubuntu without flashing your MiniX, you only need a SD-Card and a special Image. If the SD-Card is inserted, the MiniX will boot Ubuntu, if it’s not, it boots Android. It will also boot if your MiniX is bicked or NAND is empty.
- The image boots an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS desktop with Unity.
- After downloading first extract the image.
- For writing the image to the SD-Card under Windows you can use Win32 Disk Imager.
- For writing the image to the SD-Card under Linux / Mac OSX just use a command line and dd.
sdc has to be corrected the the right drive, corresponding to your SD-Card.
Further hints from Ian after Ubuntu is running:
- the Linuxium user password is ‘p’ (without the quotes)
- a root password can be set by entering the following in a terminal window
- expand the file system to utilise the whole SD card:
then reboot and enter
to complete the resizing
- Mali hardware acceleration can be enabled by entering